Re: [Orekit Developers] Using git-flow branching model?

Hi Luc,

Le 31/07/2017 à 11:30, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
> He suggested using git-flow

Actually, I recommend to you an enhanced (from my point of view) version
of git-flow, managing several release branches, like the workflow we set
up for Orfeo Toolbox project:

https://wiki.orfeo-toolbox.org/index.php/Git#Workflow

With this workflow, you can handle several release branches at once
(orekit-8.0, orekit-9.0, etc.) and you can publish a corrective version
8.0.1 (on branch orekit-8.0) after having published a version 9.0.0 (on
branch orekit-9.0), what you cannot do with the original git-flow workflow.

I think that the ability to maintain several release branches at once is
crucial in an industrial context and for long term projects.

But, if you prefer, you can use the original git-flow workflow and only
fork the "main" release branch when necessary.

> (<http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/>,
> <https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows>,
> <https://github.com/petervanderdoes/gitflow-avh/wiki>,
> <https://danielkummer.github.io/git-flow-cheatsheet/>).
>
> The third and fourth link above even propose a few extensions to help
> using git flow. The third link seems to be the one installed on Debian
> systems.

These extensions can help but they are not required if you have a little
bit of self-discipline.

Sébastien

--
Sébastien Dinot