Re: [Orekit Developers] multi-satellite orbit determination API

Hi Hank,

Hank Grabowski <hank@applieddefense.com> a écrit :

The changes sound fine but if you are concerned about API compatibility
could this be addressed with overloaded methods and default method in the
interface definition?

This is not possible for constructors which are not inherited and also
not possible for return values as methods cannot be overloaded with
only a difference in the return value.

I have only dabbled with the OD system so am only
going on what you wrote in this e-mail so that suggest may be an over
simplification. Also, the OD libraries are relatively new and this is a
major release so breaking compatibility isn't a deal breaker anyway so it
may not be worth that brain damage anyway, but I thought I'd throw that out
there.

Anyway, the changes do not seem to be too difficult to implement. I have almost finished the changes and still have something that compiles without errors. One
or two methods to clean up and I will try a first run...

For users who did not implement any measurement type by themselves, it seems
the only change in their code will be of the order of replacing

 Propagator estimated = estimator.estimate();

with

 Propagator estimated = estimator.estimate()[0];

On the other hand, the ability to estimate several orbits at once is an interesting
feature. We can think about thing like Grace-like missions, or highly
accurate GNSS measurements, forùation flying or constellations.