Re: [Orekit Developers] Building the rugged examples

Hi Andy,

I am adding rugged-users list, as this question is more suited for this list.

Andy Schofield <A.Schofield@sstl.co.uk> a écrit :

Thanks Luc.

I opted for Eclipse Mars with orekit-7.0 and rugged-1.0 in the end and got the DirectLocation and other examples working OK.

I am interested in whether Orekit is suitable for projecting a single LoS based on an ECEF position, coupled with time, angular offsets between the AOCS frame of reference and the imager frame of reference, attitude of the AOCS FoR and imager characteristics such as FoV. Looking at those examples, it seems like the system is geared towards a propagated flight but that the core functionality probably supports what I'm looking at (projection of single image from a mobile phone camera with attitude and GPS value) but wanted to check if the orekit system can support this before I delve too far.

If you never want to compute inverse location (i.e. you never compute
from ground to spacecraft), if you already know the position and los in
Earth frame, and if you don't care about light time correction, abberration
of light and refraction, you can avoid building the full Rugged object and
you can rely on lower level objects. You can directly build an instance of
DuvenhageAlgorithm and call its intersection method, which will only consider
the Digital Elevation Model and a single line of sight.

If you want to let some existing validated code handle frames transforms,
attitude, instrument viewing model, light time correction, abberration of
light correction and refraction, then you should rather build a Rugged instance
and call the directLocation(date, position, los) method, only once, with
your single line of sight. It is possible to build the Rugged instance with
an Orekit propagator instead of providing it set of position/velocity/attitude,
this may be simpler in your use case.

So you can use Rugged with a single line of sight.

Hope this helps,
Luc

Regards
Andy