Re: [Orekit Developers] Coming changes in Orbit class hierarchy

Hello everybody,

I wrote a small script to test one of the cases proposed by Luc: propagation of a swing-by trajectory about Jupiter in 3 reference frames to test . I restricted myself to a very simple model where only Jupiter acts on the spacecraft. I tested this three cases:

Case 1:
Integration frame: EME2000
Representation of the trajectory: AbsolutePVCoordinates (No central body)
ThirdBodyAttraction with Jupiter

Case 2:
Integration frame: ICRF
Representation of the trajectory: AbsolutePVCoordinates (No central body)
ThirdBodyAttraction with Jupiter

Case 3:
Integration frame: Jupiter-centered inertial
Representation of the trajectory: Orbit (Central body: Jupiter)

For comparison, all orbits are shown in ICRF, and the third case is considered as reference (as it used to be the "old" way to do things).
After a propagation over 100000s and the swing-by, the difference in position for case 1 is of 30416 km, and for case 2 of 2296 km.

On the animated plot herebelow, the three trajectories are almost superposed. (The trajectory in red, ICRF, barely visible, is actually very close to the one in yellow, Jupiter-centered).

orbits_animated.gif
As the errors almost does not vary with the parameters of the integrator, I think that they are due to the fact of considering all these frames pseudo-inertial, which they are not.

I am attaching the Orekit test (compatible with my last commit) as well as the Matlab plot script, just in case somebody wants to have a look.

I am interested in your feedback.

In particular, as I am not a regular of Orekit, I would appreciate if you could tell me if I built the script the way you commonly do, and if there are additional functions/tests I should include to make sure they still work.

Kind regards,

Guillaume Obrecht