[Orekit Developers] Python wrapper as Orekit Labs project

Dear all,

I just want to mention that we have started an Orekit labs project for a python wrapper of Orekit. We have been using this wrapper for some time at SSC and for our purposes it has worked well, and decided to provide this back to the Orekit project.

The scientific Python community is very active and provides a large number of good toolboxes for analysis, plotting, machine learning etc. There is IPython, an interactive environment that  is available both as a command prompt (such as Matlab) and as a notebook interface similar to Mathematica.

Combining the Python ecosystem with the Orekit capabilities gives a powerful toolkit.

The orekit python wrapper is described further at:

https://www.orekit.org/forge/projects/orekit-python-wrapper/wiki

Some examples using orekit in IPython notebook:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/www.orekit.org/forge/projects/orekit-python-wrapper/repository/revisions/master/raw/examples/orekit%20map.ipynb

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/www.orekit.org/forge/projects/orekit-python-wrapper/repository/revisions/master/raw/examples/TLE%20Propagation.ipynb?create=1

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/www.orekit.org/forge/projects/orekit-python-wrapper/repository/revisions/master/raw/examples/Example%20EarthObservation%20-%20Attitude%20Sequence.ipynb?create=1

A good intro to scientific python is available at:

http://scipy-lectures.github.io/

The easiest way to get started with Python and Orekit is to use an existing scientific python distribution that includes lots of tools already. One such distribution is Anaconda python:

https://store.continuum.io/cshop/anaconda/

Best Regards

/Petrus

Petrus Hyvönen