Re: [Orekit Developers] Getting Started

Hi Hank,

Sorry for the delay.

Le 24/10/2013 20:18, Hank Grabowski a écrit :
> Thank you for the reply, Luc.  I have an account on the Forge (I'm
> HankG).  I understand your workflow better now, so it looks like testing
> wouldn't necessarily be the best thing to do to help burn down issues.
>  Would you rather I look at one of the older high priority "new" ones or
> the low priority elevation detector one?

Issue 144 is probably a good one to cut your teeth on contributing.

> When it comes time to start making pull requests and the like I will
> probably want to e-mail what steps I would take (assuming there is no
> step-by-step guide for that I can crib from).

Up to now, for issues that are not handled directly by developers, we
prefer patches sent as attachements to the issue in our forge. Of
course, there are other possibilities too like other public Git
repositories, so it really depends on what method you are more
conmfortable with.

> I agree that stages of the propagation can be parallelized to some
> extent, but the actual steps are going to essentially be in a sequential
> fashion.  I suppose a variable step size integrator with
> predictor/corrector methods could sample each simultaneously, but if we
> are relying on Apache Math for the integrator it would be on that code
> to be parallelized.
>
> I suppose it would be possible to make the code thread safe but not make
> it parallelizeable, just in case someone accidentally adds cross-thread
> accesses by accident.  Alternatively we could document in which methods
> are thread safe and which aren't in Javadoc.

It makes sense.