[Orekit Developers] Preparing Orekit 6.0 release

Hi all,

The 6.0 version of Orekit is nearly complete now. The Project Management Committee recently gave its go ahead for the release. The major features desired for this version are implemented and the version 3.2 of the Apache Commons Math library we need has been officially released a few days ago. The Orekit development team is currently closing the latest issues. The target release date for version 6.0 is before the end of the month.

One remaining thing is the update of the error messages translations in various languages. We would be happy if some of our users could contribute to this task, either by providing translations or reviewing the messages we already have. We already have initial files for English, French, Galician, German, Italian, Spanish and Norse languages but we would be happy to add any other languages the community may provide.

The translation files are available on the forge here: <https://www.orekit.org/forge/projects/orekit/repository/revisions/master/show/src/main/resources/assets/org/orekit/localization>, they will be updated as we receive translations. These are simple Java properties files, with non-ASCII characters encoded using unicode conventions (this mean we can support any writing systems). Creating a file for a new language simply means copying one of the existing files and changing the translated text. Even incomplete translations would be welcome, the missing text being replaced by the "<MISSING TRANSLATION!>" marker which is automatically recognized by the library (in which case the English message is used instead of the native language one, so there is no loss of information for users).

Of course, translation contributors are credited for their work and their names will appear in the <contributors> section in the distribution.

If you want to contribute, you can create an issue in our tracking system <https://www.orekit.org/forge/projects/orekit/issues> and attach you contributed files to it. If you don't know the proper unicode encoding for specific characters, just use your native encoding when storing the file and tell us which encoding you used (standard ISO or platform specific encodings). We will take care to do the conversion. If you want to review or update an existing file and cannot read the existing unicode encoding, just ask us and we will provide you a version of the file with ISO accented characters.

Thanks you in advance for your contributions.

Luc, on behalf of the Orekit team