Re: [Orekit Developers] Feature #34 (Getting the acceleration computed by a ForceModel)

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidhart@gmail.com> a écrit :

On 01/24/2012 08:03 PM, MAISONOBE Luc wrote:

I copied some text from the issue comments:

The problem I see with an API providing only a PVCoordinates but no
reference frame is that it is ambiguous. When conversions occur in
other parts of Orekit, two approaches are typically used.

I totally agree. One thing I really like about the AbsoluteDate is that
it always contains the reference time system, which makes it trivial to
convert between different time-scales.

What do you think about an AbsoluteCoordinate/AbsoluteVector class that
resembles the idea of the AbsoluteDate?

So I would suggest using Yannick API but to add a frame parameter.

You mean the computeAcceleration signature would be something like this:

Vector3D computeAcceleration(SpacecraftState s, Frame target) throws
OrekitException;

and the resulting Vector3D would be in the target frame?

No, the latest API Yannick suggested with only SpacecraftState is enough, as the SpacecraftState holds the frame. In fact it is back to what you already suggested at first! So I guess we can go for it. What Yannick added (see his message from yesterday evening) is that the other methods are used in addition to this top-level method and only for a few force models, typically only the conservative ones.

Luc

Thomas