From: orekit-users-request@orekit.org <orekit-users-request@orekit.org> on behalf of Ward, Evan <Evan.Ward@nrl.navy.mil>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2018 12:09 PM
To: orekit-users@orekit.org
Subject: Re: [Orekit Users] 0.1 deg Inclination bias?

Hi Greg,

On Thu, 2018-07-26 at 14:35 +0000, Hammel, Gregory (ASC/CSA) wrote:
So, I have found the source of my 0.1deg error - it was a reference frame issue that I had missed (was passing a TOD vector but telling the Draper code it was J2000).

I have taken the step to using the conversion process because the sma noise on the Draper propagation is larger than I would like. However, while my results are providing very good sma's, eccentricities and argument of perigees, I seem to have a "twist" in my orbit. Both the inclination and RAAN are off by ~0.005 deg. I've double checked against the osculating values and this is definitely not correct. The upper end of the osc inclination is 97.765deg which is what my fitted mean inclination is at.

I've run the Draper propagator alongside the fit in the same code, so I've eliminated any possible errors in initial state, EOP data, reference frame, etc. When I do this, I am seeing inc values from the propagator of 97.760 deg, which is what I would be expecting. I've poured over my code and can't see where the problem is, but I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong - I just can't see it. I'm very new to both Java and Orekit so there is probably some fundamental mistake I'm making, but its not clear.

Has anyone else build a Draper propagator builder? Any traps I may have fallen into that I should be wary of?

Have you checked the step size of the finite difference?  It is hard for the FiniteDifferencePropagatorConverter to achieve better accuracy than the finite difference step size. The step size is the scale factor for each parameter that is solved for (selected). 0.005 deg is about 1e-4 rad. So a step size of 1e-4 on an angular parameter might result in this behavior. Just a thought.

Best Regards,
Evan

One of the things I'm doing is using the FiniteDifferenceConverter and then casting it as a DSSTPropagator as follows:

PropagatorConverter fitter = new FiniteDifferencePropagatorConverter(builder, 1.e-6, 5000);
DSSTPropagator meanprop = (DSSTPropagator)fitter.convert(ephemeris, 86400, 251);

Where "builder" is the DSSTPropagatorBuilider that I created and ephemeris is a BoundedPropagator osculating input. Is this valid?

Any help, insights, pointers would be greatly appreciated. If I can get this sorted out this will be a very powerful tool for our upcoming mission. But a 0.005deg offset in inclination and RAAN will be difficult to work around.

Thanks,
Greg
Gregory Hammel
Analyste de la dynamique de vol
Contractuel SED a division of Calian Ltd. Utilisation de l’espace
Agence spatiale canadienne / Gouvernement du Canada
gregory.hammel@canada.ca / Tél.: 450-926-5138

Flight Dynamics Analyst
Consultant SED a division of Calian Ltd. Space Utilization
Canadian Space Agency / Government of Canada
gregory.hammel@canada.ca / Tel.: 450-926-5138