Re: [Orekit Users] Generic extremum events

Thomas.Fruth@dlr.de a écrit :

Hi Luc,

Hi Thomas,

thank you very much for your fast and comprehensive answer!

You're welcome.

I see your points regarding a generic solution that is not using derivatives. Obviously I have really underestimated the power of Apache commons-math's DerivativeStructure: Using it and with the help of your ElevationExtremumDetector example, I was now able to implement another use case (minimum range) successfully and very elegantly in only a few lines of code. Taken together the DerivativeStructure option and the wrapper you described as a kind of backup solution, I agree there shouldn't be much need for a more generic extremum event search.

Thanks also for directly adding the ElevationExtremumDetector to the repository! I have just checked it and its results agree very well with our reference data.

As a follow-up to this addition, I am working on another wrapper. I was
not really happy with the extremum elevation triggering events even
when the maximum was below the horizon ...

So in the same spirit as the Eventfilter (which will be renamed EventSlopeFilter),
I am adding an EventEnablingPredicateFilter. Users will be able to
provide a predicate function returning true or false depending on
current state (date, position, ...) to tell the propagator if the
corresponding event is currently enabled and should be triggered or
not. This wwill allow to switch events on and off at will during propagation.
In the elevation extremum case, users could for example add an
enabling function based on the evelation itself (not its derivative),
so the propagator would not waste time computing maximums that will
be later discarded, and users would directly get interesting extremums
without worrying about a posteriori filtering. Of course, this new
filter could also be applied to any other use case.

This filter will probably be available this evening or tomorrow.

Best regards,
Thomas

PS (just out of curiosity): The new ElevationExtremumDetector requires an OneAxisEllipsoid and TopocentricFrame on initialization, whereas ElevationDetector is fine with the TopocentricFrame only. Since the OneAxisEllipsoid is not really used within ElevationExtremumDetector either, I just wondered why it is needed?

You are right, it was not needed. I have removed it now, thanks for
the hint.