Re: [Orekit Users] DihedralFielOfView with a Polygon instead of a PVCoordinatesProvider PVTarget point.

Actually for a large enough area you will be missing a bunch.  A brute force approach I would take would be to see if you have access to any of the boundary points defining the area.  If you had access to any then you had access to the area.  This is a lot easier said than done for cases like:
  1. Fast moving satellite attitudes or sensor pointing profiles
  2. Small sensors which will be between sample points
  3. The case where the sensor is entirely within the boundary.

As long as you are avoiding these sorts of cases, you should be able to come up with a reasonable approximation of accesses to the ground area using the method I mentioned above.

Using the method described by Luc would be preferable, assuming you can get a reasonable sensor surface projection for each step.  This type of calculation is profoundly different from the way these event detectors currently work however.  It is possible to do similar calculations without the new Apache Math library, but it probably wouldn't handle all the edge cases the Apache Math algorithms would.

PS. I'd be more than happy to contribute towards studying this problem further, FYI...