[Orekit Users] Re: picosatellite biomagnetorquer experiment - request for answers/ideas/comments

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Zac Manchester <zacinaction@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> - The Sprites will be spin-stabilized in a sun-pointing attitude upon
> deployment.  This will ensure they have solar power whenever they are on the
> day side of the Earth.

I see this approach as potentially very good for my project, for
several reasons:

(1) Simpler modeling/sensing of the initial orbits. A batch of ejected
sprites should all experience very similar aerodynamic drag. I expect
this means they'll disperse slowly, even as drag becomes ever more
significant. If slight magnetorquing on my project's sprite changes
its drag characteristics by enough, it's possible that its orbital
path will diverge significantly from the group. Detection of any such
divergence (if possible) might constitute evidence of magnetorquing.

(2) Known initial conditions. I was concerned about the need to model
of a wide variety of tumbling scenarios, and, once my project's sprite
was flying free, to sense which scenario most closely approximated the
real situation. A known initial attitude and rotation rate should make
modeling easier.

(3) Alignment with experimental agenda. Spin-stabilization for
sun-pointing is already part of a longer-term, more ambitious plan.
"Biomagnetorquing" is a proposed way to maintain a sun-pointing
attitude over a long period of time (years), by periodically growing
and manipulating the required magnets, then recycling the materials.
Showing that magnetotactic microorganisms in a permanent, fixed magnet
can perform magnetorquing on a sun-pointing spacecraft helps support a
proof-of-concept for that scenario -- even though, in this case, the
torque actually perturbs the craft *away* from (direct) sun-pointing.

> - I'm trying to tune the antenna vibration frequencies so that they can act
> as nutation dampers to damp out attitude disturbances.

I'm surprised that this can be done at such small scales.