Re: [Orekit Developers] [SOCIS 2011] Status of the Android application

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Andreas Rieger <ar@quinput.net> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Now it works fine and the eclipse - android interaction works very nice. The
> orekit-data.zip is inside of /sdcard/orekit (in the long run a subset should be
> inside of the apk)  It is really surprising how good the default jars work inside
> of the android environment. This gives me a good platform to start some one
> experiments.

That's great :)

I think that the Eclipse debugger can even debug an Android
application running inside a remote device. Also the DDMS perspective
is really great, you have some interesting tools (like tracking
allocations, having heap statistics, faking gps coordinates, emulating
the network speed/latency, having a remote file manager, take
screenshots of the device, etc...). The "method profiling" part of the
DDMS perspective can also be very useful (it's a little bit hidden in
the perspective UI, it's just a little toolbar button, the one at the
left of the "STOP" button).

> I would like to have more time conversion options.
> (julian,mjd,tow,doy,unix,java,GPS,GST ...) thinks I can use during my daily work.
> This is stuff which blow the time frame of this project but I will be soon in a
> launch campaign in Kourou which should give me some time to play with it.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about the source code :)

Also, if you're lucky you may not even need to modify the Android
application source code to do this. You can replace the "Choose a
date" dialog and the "Choose a time scale" dialog simply by creating
an external application which listens for the intents
"org.orekit.android.selector.DATE" and
"org.orekit.android.selector.TIMESCALE". The documentation about what
data you'll receive and you'll need to send back are on
"DateSelector.java" and "TimeScaleSelector.java". If you do this, each
time you'll select a date, the Android system will prompt you if you
want the native Orekit selector or your own, in the same way it asks
you which browser you want if you install an alternative browser like
Opera or when you install an alternative Home.

> Thanks for sharing this interesting approach.

You're welcome :)

Have a nice day,

Alexis Robert